This Kinderpunsch recipe is the perfect German-style non-alcoholic punch recipe for the holiday season made with fruit tea, juice and all the Christmas spices. Perfect for kids!
November is here and that means the weather’s getting cold and after the kids come in after playing outside they’re looking for something warm and comforting to drink. This Kinderpunsch recipe is one we’ve made in our family for years – it’s our version of the traditional German kids punch that’s alcohol-free and made with herbal fruit tea, natural juices, and spices.
In Germany and Austria around the holidays it’s traditional for the adults to enjoy Gluwein or mulled wine at Christmas markets and other gatherings. The kids (and others who don’t drink alcohol) enjoy Kinderpunsch, and we’ve had the pleasure of enjoying it in Germany, Austria and even Hungary during the holidays! It’s a hot drink recipe we’ve made at home time and again, and I know you’re going to love it as much as we do!
I’ve shared so many of our favourite holiday drink recipes with you before, like this Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate, this Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Cider, and this Easy Party Punch. This kid-friendly punch recipe is another amazing holiday recipe that’s perfect for winter family gatherings – it’s easy to make and SO delicious!
Ingredients for Kinderpunsch
- natural apple juice
- star anise
- hot water
- fruit or hibiscus tea bags
- cranberry juice (or use cherry juice)
- orange juice
- apple slices (optional)
- fresh cranberries (optional)
How to Make Kinderpunsch
Time needed: 20 minutes.
- Infuse the juice with spices a day ahead (optional).
This step is optional, but adding the cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise to the apple juice in the fridge the day before creates the most delicious spice flavour!
- Steep the tea.
Add your hot water to the pot and add your fruit tea bags. Steep for at least 8 minutes for strong fruit-flavoured tea. Be sure to choose caffeine-free tea.
- Add the juice.
Pour in the juices (and spices if you didn’t add them the day before) and stir well. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add apple slices, cranberries, and even some orange slices to serve.
Yes! Simply make according to the recipe directions, cool to room temperature, chill in an airtight container and reheat up to 3 days later to serve.
Yes! If you’re not a fan of cranberry juice, choose cherry juice! If you don’t like orange, add more apple. Try to stick with the ratio of tea to juice, but feel free to switch up the juice to your own tastes.
I hope you love this holiday recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite drink to serve at your holiday gatherings? I’d love to know!
Looking for more delicious holiday drinks? You’ll LOVE these!
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Earl Grey Vanilla Tea Latte (London Fog)
- 3 Ingredient Healthier Crock Pot Hot Chocolate (Slow Cooker)
- Easy Healthy Golden Milk Latte
- Healthy Matcha Latte (Starbucks Copycat)
- Slow Cooker Gingerbread Latte (Starbucks Copycat)
- Easy Healthier Crock Pot Hot Chocolate
- Slow Cooker Chai Tea Latte
- 4 cups natural apple juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks whole
- 3 cloves whole
- 1 small star anise whole
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 fruit-flavoured herbal tea bags or use hibiscus and fruit-flavoured tea bags for a more traditional flavour
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cups cranberry juice or use cherry juice for a more traditional flavour
- apple slices and cranberries for garnish
- The day before you'll be making the punch, open the lid to the apple juice container and place the cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves inside. Put the lid back on and put the apple juice in the fridge overnight. This is an optional step. You can add these spices the next day to save time.
- If you do not have time to infuse the spices overnight, add the cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise in your pot with the tea bags and hot water and steep the tea for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags. Add the apple juice to the pot along with the cranberry juice, and orange juice. Stir well to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and add the apple slices and cranberries for garnish.