This Healthy Matcha Latte is a delicious way to enjoy the earthy flavour and health benefits of matcha green tea, without all the fat and calories! Make it without refined sugar, dairy-free and vegan!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
If you’ve been a reader of thebusybaker.ca for any length of time you probably already know that I’m all about finding ways to make my favourite recipes with a healthy twist, and trying to save money and calories whenever possible. This absolutely DELICIOUS Healthy Matcha Latte is my favourite way to do all those things – it’s lower in fat and calories, it’s absolutely cheap to make, and it tastes even BETTER than a Starbucks Matcha Latte drink!
How to make a latte healthy
Since we’ve been on a healthy-eating streak so far in 2019, I’ve been looking for ways to enjoy some of my favourite treats minus all the fat and calories in coffee shop lattes. I absolutely LOVE a good Starbucks Matcha Latte, but did you know that the Matcha flavour comes from a Matcha-infused sugar syrup!?!? At least in this part of the world it’s impossible to order a Matcha latte that’s low in sugar, so of course I had to come up with a homemade version that would rival my favourite from Starbucks.
Swapping out the sugary syrup for an all natural sweetener like honey, maple syrup or agave nectar is the best place to start because those sweeteners add both sweetness AND flavour (my personal favourite is honey for the flavour)! Use your favourite low fat dairy milk or even your favourite non-dairy milk (light coconut milk is my favourite!) to make it vegan and dairy-free.
How to make a Matcha Latte
Simply heat your choice of milk over medium heat until it reaches a simmer. Reduce the heat slightly, adding your choice of sweetener and vanilla. Add the matcha powder straight to the milk, OR dilute it in a few tablespoons of boiling water in the bottom of your mug and pour the hot milk overtop. It’s quick to make, totally delicious, and you’ll be able to skip the Starbucks line!
Looking for more delicious drink recipes? You’ll LOVE this Homemade Mocha Caramel Frappuccino or my Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Cider!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this Healthy Matcha Latte as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite coffee shop drink to make healthier at home? I’d LOVE to know!!
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
Looking for even more recipes like this one? You’ll LOVE these:
Healthy Matcha Latte (Starbucks Copycat)
- 3 cups milk (use your favourite non-dairy milk, if desired)
- 2 tablsepoons honey, maple syrup or agave nectar (use more if you like it very sweet)
- a few drops of real vanilla extract
- 5-6 teaspoons Matcha Green Tea Powder
- 2-3 tablespoons hot water
- Heat the milk in a small pot on the stove over medium heat until it reaches a simmer.
- Add the honey, maple syrup or agave to the milk, along with the vanilla, and whisk to combine until a foam forms on top of the milk.
- Add the matcha powder to a small bowl and pour the hot water overtop, stirring to make a liquid paste. (If you're making 2 individual servings in mugs, add approx. 3 teaspoons matcha powder to the bottom of each mug and pour 1-2 tablespoons of water into each mug, stirring well).
- Pour the sweetened milk over top of the diluted matcha and top with the foam.
- Enjoy, or store in mason jars in the fridge and re-heat to serve.