This Watermelon Salad recipe is the perfect fresh and healthy salad for summer! It’s simple and easy to make with fresh watermelon, cucumber, fresh mint, and feta.
Summer is almost here and we can’t wait for all the fresh, summer produce to start appearing at the local markets! This Watermelon Salad Recipe is one of our favourite summer salad recipes to enjoy at barbecues and picnics, and it’s the perfect refreshing side dish or appetizer for any summer meal.
Watermelon salad is a refreshing dish that combines sweet and savoury flavours of juicy watermelon, fresh cucumbers, tangy feta, fresh mint, and lime. We typically serve this watermelon cucumber salad as a side dish or appetizer, especially during the summer months when watermelon is in season and at its finest.
- Choose a fresh, ripe watermelon: Look for a watermelon that feels heavy for its size and has a uniform shape. Tap it, and if you hear a hollow sound, it’s a good sign that it’s ripe. Also, check for a dull rind, which indicates ripeness, rather than a shiny or waxy appearance.
- Keep it chilled: Watermelon salad is best served chilled, so make sure to refrigerate the watermelon before preparing the salad. You can even chill the serving bowl or platter to keep the salad cool, especially if you’re serving it at a fancier barbecue or summer dinner party.
- Cut the watermelon into bite-sized pieces or use a melon baller: Remove the rind and seeds (if any) and cut the watermelon into uniform bite-sized cubes. This ensures that each bite contains a balanced mix of flavours. We suggest combining shapes for a nice presentation – using a melon baller to create round watermelon pieces creates a beautiful contrast between the cucumber slices and strands of fresh herbs.
- Balance the flavours: Watermelon is naturally sweet, so it’s important to balance its sweetness with contrasting flavours. Add some tang with feta cheese and some freshness with lime juice and cucumber slices. The fresh mint also adds a fresh aroma.
- Use fresh ingredients: Opt for fresh and high-quality ingredients to enhance the overall taste of the salad. Fresh herbs and quality cheese make a big difference in this dish.
- Dress it lightly: Watermelon itself is quite juicy, so you don’t want to overpower the salad with heavy dressings. Instead, opt for light and refreshing squeeze of lime juice, or a light drizzle of simple balsamic glaze.
- Combine just before serving: To keep the ingredients fresh and crisp, it’s best to combine the salad ingredients no more than 20-30 minutes before serving. This helps prevent the watermelon from becoming too watery or the fresh mint from wilting.
- Experiment with variations: Don’t be afraid to experiment and personalize your watermelon salad by by trying out different flavour combinations. Add or substitute ingredients based on your preferences and creativity.
Here’s what you need to make this watermelon feta salad recipe (affiliate links):
- a melon baller
- a cutting board
- a sharp knife for chopping
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing bowls
- a serving bowl
EASY AND DELICIOUS SUMMER DESSERT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE!
Get my no-fail summer dessert recipes e-cookbook!
To make this watermelon feta mint salad recipe you’ll need:
- fresh mint
- feta cheese
- Arugula and Goat Cheese: Toss in some peppery arugula with the watermelon and add crumbled goat cheese. Add some chopped walnuts for an extra crunch.
- Strawberry and Basil: Add sliced strawberries and torn basil leaves, and substitute the feta for some crumbled goat cheese for a creamy texture. Add some balsamic vinegar as a dressing.
- Jicama and Lime: Add some diced jicama for a refreshing crunch, squeeze some extra lime juice over the salad and sprinkle with a pinch or two of chili powder.
- Mango and Coconut: Add some diced mango and toasted coconut flakes. Add a splash of coconut milk and a squeeze of lime or lemon juice for the dressing.
- Avocado and Cilantro: Add some diced avocado, chopped cilantro, and thinly sliced red onions. Squeeze lime juice over everything and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Follow these steps for the perfect summer salad!
- Prepare the salad right before serving.
Since watermelon releases a lot of juices after it’s cut, it’s best to create the watermelon chunks or balls right before you’re ready to serve the salad.
- Use a melon baller.
Although a melon baller isn’t necessary (you can cut the watermelon into chunks with a knife), it’s a great way to elevate the presentation of this salad.
- Keep the dressing simple.
Add a drizzle of olive oil and the juice of a lime for added flavour.
- Add the mint last.
Since the mint can go brown if left out for too long, toss in the mint right before serving.
What is watermelon salad made of?
Watermelon salad is made of fresh watermelon, cucumber, fresh mint, feta cheese, and lime.
What should I serve with Watermelon Salad?
Watermelon salad is delicious served alongside grilled meat or fish, roasted potatoes, grilled vegetables, or other fresh summer dishes.
Can I make Watermelon Salad ahead of time?
Watermelon salad is best served immediately after assembling because the watermelon will release its juices if left to sit too long. If you need to make it ahead of time we suggest preparing all the components and assembling them just before serving.
How many calories are in watermelon salad?
There are just over 80 calories in a 1-cup serving of watermelon salad.
We hope you love this watermelon feta mint salad recipe as much as we do! Let us know in the comments below, what’s your favourite summer salad recipe? We’d love to know!
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- 4 cups watermelon chopped in 1-inch pieces, or use a melon baller to create 1-inch balls
- 1 long English cucumber sliced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- Add the watermelon to a bowl along with the cucumber slices and feta.
- Add the lemon juice and olive oil and toss gently.
- Add the mint leaves and serve.
Storage InstructionsWe recommend storing this salad for no more than 2 days in an airtight container in the fridge. For best results, enjoy right after assembling.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
TRY OUR MEAL PLANS!
Let us do the work for you with 7 days of deliciously easy family dinners, grocery lists, meal prep guides and MORE!
Buy 2, save 20%!
Buy 3, save 30%!
Buy 4 or more, save 40%!
I had heard of recipes for this which friends have said were good when I saw your’s pop up I saved it. It is so good! Love the flavour combination. Great summer salad.