This Easy Healthy Shrimp Scampi is sure to become your favourite healthy weeknight meal! Made with fresh ingredients and a light sauce that’s oh so tasty – it’s a healthy, restaurant-quality dish that’s on your table in 30 minutes or less! Watch the VIDEO below to see how I make it, and don’t forget to scroll down to the end of this post for the FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
*I originally shared this recipe with you on the blog in August of 2015. I’m updating the post today with a few small changes to the recipe to make it even BETTER, along with new photos and a brand new VIDEO tutorial!
I don’t know about you, but I’ve always been kind of afraid of dishes like Chicken Scampi or Shrimp Scampi, mostly because the amount of calories adding heavy cream to pasta dishes creates terrifies me. But then I came across this Shrimp Scampi recipe from Chef Michael Smith that you can find here. It already had a healthier twist to it, which I love, but as I’ve made it over the years I’ve been able to up the health factor even more and make it into my Easy Healthy Shrimp Scampi – a super delicious and healthy meal that my family gobbles up like there’s no tomorrow!
If you’ve been a reader of mine for awhile you’ll know how much I love putting a healthy and fresh spin on family meals, and I firmly believe it’s almost always possible to create healthier versions of these heavy, cream-based dishes everyone loves without actually sacrificing flavour, and that’s exactly what I’ve done with this Easy Healthy Shrimp Scampi. It’s simple and easy to make, with fresh, healthy ingredients that make it a perfect everyday meal you can prepare in under 30 minutes! And it tastes even better than it looks, if you can believe it!!
Looking for more healthy meal ideas? You’ll love this Grilled Chicken Souvlaki with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce, and this Rainbow Vegetable Pasta Salad recipe!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you enjoy this Easy Healthy Shrimp Scampi recipe! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite easy healthy meal?
Looking for even more easy meal ideas? Before you grab the recipe for this Easy Healthy Shrimp Scampi below, check out these other recipes we love!
This Creamy Chicken Enchilada Pasta is to die for! And so easy to make in one pot!!
This One Pot Kung Pao Chicken Pasta is SO easy to make and puts a fun Asian twist on your weeknight dinner!
This Easy Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowls make the BEST easy weeknight meal! My readers give this recipe rave reviews!!
KITCHEN PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND:
Easy Healthy Shrimp Scampi
- one large handful of plain or whole-grain spaghetti noodles enough to serve 6, and salted water for boiling
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 24-30 large shrimp
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes more if you like it spicy
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- a dash of freshly cracked pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup whole milk, condensed milk (unsweetened), or use oat cream or coconut cream for a dairy-free option
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1-2 cups fresh spinach
- fresh flat-leafed parsley for garnish optional
- Start by setting a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Since you'll be using this water to cook the spaghetti noodles, it's important to salt the water generously. I've heard it said that the pasta water should taste like the sea, so I use a few good pinches of salt and it always works well.
- When your pasta water has boiled, add the spaghetti and boil it according to the package directions until it's done to your liking (we like ours al dente).
- While the pasta cooks, set a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the olive oil and butter and once it heats up add the chopped garlic. Saute the garlic for about a minute and then add the shrimp, along with the chili flakes and the paprika.
- Once the shrimp begins to turn pink, move it around in the pan with the garlic, red pepper flakes, paprika and pepper for another minute or two.
- Add the wine to the pan and stir the shrimp in it briefly before turning the heat to low and covering the pan.
- Let the shrimp simmer in the wine for about 3-4 minutes or until the shrimp is completely pink and cooked through (check it every minute or two to be sure the shrimp doesn't over-cook).
- Once the shrimp is done, turn off the heat and add the whole milk (or whatever cream-base you're using) and stir briefly before letting the shrimp rest in the sauce for several minutes.
- By this time, your spaghetti should be done. Drain it (don't rinse it!!) and add it to the pan with the shrimp and sauce, along with the spinach and the cherry tomatoes.
- Toss everything together well until the spaghetti is coated in the sauce and the tomatoes, spinach and shrimp are dispersed throughout. Cover the pan and let it sit off the heat for 2-3 minutes to give the spinach a chance to wilt slightly.
- Right before you serve, garnish with some chopped fresh parsley and you've got a fresh and healthy restaurant-worthy meal!