This Easy Dairy-Free Butter Chicken is the perfect Indian-style easy weeknight meal that’s made with healthy, whole-food ingredients – and no dairy! Serve it with rice and naan bread for an easy meal that’s better than take-out.
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
One thing you’ll know about me if you’ve been around here for awhile is that easy, healthy weeknight meals are kinda my jam. I’ve got a hungry husband and kids I’ve got to feed every single night of the week and because of where we live takeout and restaurants just aren’t an option. This Easy Dairy-Free Butter Chicken is one of my family’s favourite weeknight meals lately and I just know you’ll love it as much as we do!
One of the ways I solve busy weeknight meal dilemmas is meal prep, and this Easy Dairy Free Butter Chicken recipe is awesome for prepping ahead of time because it’s one of those recipes that tastes even better on day 2! I often make a skillet full of it and place it in containers in the fridge to heat up throughout the week.
One of my absolute favourite kitchen items for prepping easy weeknight meals is my basic cast iron skillet. I use it almost every day and I’ve had it for years – it has never failed me. If you don’t have one and you’re looking to add an inexpensive cast iron skillet to your kitchen, I’d recommend this basic 12-inch Lodge Cast Iron Skillet (affiliate link). It won’t break the bank, it’s easy to use, clean and store, and it’s perfect for searing meats or cooking dishes that go from the stovetop to the oven to the table. It’s truly an essential item in my kitchen!!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this delicious recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite easy weeknight meal? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for more recipes like this? You’ll love these!
- Italian Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
- Paprika Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Creamy One Pot Creamy Enchilada Pasta
- One Pot Pepperoni Pizza Pasta
- One Pan Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- Easy Lentil Daal Curry
- Easy One Pan Coconut Curry Shrimp
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this delicious recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Easy Dairy-Free Butter Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 15 ounce canned coconut milk
- 15 ounces canned tomato sauce
- chopped cilantro, rice and naan bread for serving
- Heat a large heavy-bottom skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Once the skillet is heated add the onion and garlic. Saute for a moment, until fragrant.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, garam masala, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, cinnamon and lime juice. Stir everything around to toast the spices.
- Add the carrots and red pepper, and saute until the vegetables are slightly soft.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet with the veggies, stirring everything together well as the chicken begins to cook.
- Add the tomato sauce and coconut milk and stir well to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cover the skillet, letting the chicken cook for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through completely. Remove the lid and cook for an additional 5 minutes or so, reducing the sauce slightly.
- Serve over cooked rice with some fresh cilantro, and naan bread (optional).