These Easy Homemade Everything Bagels are perfectly dense & chewy, and topped with Everything Bagel Seasoning. And they’re SO easy to make with no special equipment or ingredients!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Homemade Bagels are one of my favourite things to bake and these Easy Homemade Everything Bagels are just the BEST. They’re my favourite weekend breakfast with some cream cheese and fruit or some avocado slices and flaky sea salt, and our kids love them too!
Since we can’t get bagels where we live homemade bagels have become a staple recipe in our house – right up there with No Knead Dutch Oven Bread and my good old trusty Sandwich Loaf Bread. And this might be shocking, but homemade bagels aren’t nearly as hard to make as they seem! These Easy Homemade Everything Bagels are perfectly dense and chewy with the perfect classic bagel crust – topped with Everything Bagel Seasoning of course!
Get my Easy Homemade New York-Style (Plain) Bagels HERE!
Looking for some delicious soup to enjoy with your bagels? You’ll LOVE this Easy Creamy Tomato Soup!
Ingredients for Homemade Everything Bagels
To make homemade Everything Bagels you’ll need:
- liquid honey
- an egg
- Everything Bagel Seasoning – Get it HERE (affiliate link).
That’s it! This homemade bagel recipe is made with basic, simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen!
How to Make Homemade Bagels
Making homemade bagels is actually very simple and easy enough for beginning bakers. Follow my simple tips below for the perfect homemade bagels!
- Make the dough. Making bagel dough is SO easy. Simply combine the flour, water, honey, yeast and salt and knead the dough for about 2 minutes. Let the dough rise for about an hour.
- Shape the bagels. Punch the dough down and divide it into 8 pieces. Roll them into balls and make a hole in the middle of each one with your fingers.
- Boil in honey water. Add honey to lightly boiling water and boil each bagel for about 1 and a half to 2 minutes per side. Boiling the bagels is what gives them that perfectly chewy texture, so don’t skip this step!!
- Brush with egg wash. Place the bagels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush the tops with egg wash, adding some Everything Bagel Seasoning on top.
- Bake to perfection. Bake for about 15-18 minutes and enjoy!
Looking for more delicious homemade bread recipes? You’ll LOVE this Quick and Easy No Knead Artisan Bread and this Easy White Sandwich Bread!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this bagel recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite bagel and cream cheese combination? I’d love to know!
KITCHEN PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND:
Looking for even more delicious bread recipes? You’ll LOVE these:
Easy Homemade Everything Bagels
For the bagels:
- 2 1/4 cups warm water
- 4 teaspoons liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast or use instant yeast
- 5 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 10 cups water
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons Everything Bagel Seasoning or use a combination of poppy seeds, black and white sesame seeds, dried granulated garlic and flaky sea salt
- Add the water, honey and yeast to a liquid measuring cup and set aside for the yeast to begin to grow (about 5 minutes).
- Measure the flour and salt into a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix together well with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula until a rough dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead for about 10-15 turns until the dough forms a ball and isn't too sticky.
- Add the dough ball back into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap, letting it rise for about 60-90 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.
- Once the dough has risen, turn it out onto your work surface (flour the work surface a little bit, but this dough is a bit on the dry side to don't add too much flour!)
- Add the water and honey to a pot and let it come to a low boil, turning the heat to medium after it boils to maintain a very gentle boil.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare 2 baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- As you wait for the water to boil, divide the dough into 12 pieces (as evenly sized as possible). Roll each piece into a ball with a smooth surface.
- To form a bagel shape, press your middle and ring finger (together) into the centre of one ball to make a hole right through the middle. Move your fingers gently in a circular motion to make the hole a little bit bigger.
- Then, holding the bagel with your thumbs inside the hole, pick it up off the work surface and stretch it gently to make the hole bigger. The goal is to make the hole a little bigger than you actually want it, as the dough will shrink back slightly during baking.
- Let the bagels you've formed sit on the work surface for about 5 minutes before gently lowering them into the boiling honey water 1 or 2 at a time.
- Let the bagels boil for about 1 and a half to 2 minutes per side. Don't skip this step! This is what gives bagels their chewy texture and perfect crust and baking them without boiling will not give you the same result.
- After boiling, place the bagels on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet (6 bagels per large baking sheet).
- Whisk the egg and water together and brush the mixture lightly over the tops of the bagels.
- Sprinkle the Everything Bagel Seasoning over the top of the bagels generously, dividing the seasoning between all the bagels (use more or less if you like).
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let the bagels cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy with some cream cheese, toasted, or however you like!