This Shamrock Shake recipe is a copycat of everybody’s favourite McDonald’s St. Patrick’s Day treat. A creamy vanilla and mint milkshake topped with whipped cream!
St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner and even though we’re not Irish, we love a good Shamrock Shake when March comes around! This Shamrock Shake recipe is one of our favourite St. Patrick’s day treats and we know you’re going to love it too!
When it comes to St. Patrick’s day treats we love a good green dessert, like this Mint Chocolate Chip No Bake Cheesecake, this Mint Chocolate Chip Dessert Dip, this Mint Oreo Fudge, or even this Mint Chip No Churn Ice Cream.
This Shamrock Shake recipe is the perfect EASY St. Patrick’s Day treat that’s ready in minutes. It requires only a few basic ingredients and tastes JUST like the McDonald’s Shamrock Shake – everybody’s St. Patrick’s Day favourite!
- When making milkshakes at home that contain only real-food ingredients (no syrups or stabilizers here!) it’s important to choose high quality ingredients.
- One of the best ways to make the most delicious milkshake is to choose a high-quality ice cream that’s flavoured with real vanilla beans. Vanilla is an ingredient added to many sweet recipes because it enhances other flavours, and it’s critical to getting the best flavour in this Homemade Shamrock Shake Recipe.
- Choosing a high-quality ice cream with a high fat content will also create an ultra-creamy texture – something restaurant milkshakes are famous for. Be sure to choose the best one you can find that’s made with real cream, and skip any low-fat ice creams for this recipe.
One of the most important kitchen appliances for making homemade milkshakes is a blender (affiliate link). We love our Blendtec high speed blender because it does an amazing job with everything from smoothies to blended soups. It crushes ice easily and it’s one of the best blenders we’ve ever tried!
But if you’re looking for a blender that’s more budget-friendly, we’d recommend this one from KitchenAid or even this immersion blender that works well for blending softer foods (all affiliate links).
You’ll also need these items to make this recipe (affiliate links):
To make this copycat McDonald’s milkshake recipe, you’ll need:
- high quality vanilla ice cream
- whole milk
- mint extract
- vanilla extract
- green food colouring (optional)
Time needed: 10 minutes
Follow these tips for the best shamrock shake recipe.
- Choose the best ice cream.
High quality, full fat ice cream is the key to the best flavour, so choose a vanilla ice cream flavoured with real vanilla and made with real cream.
- Use a high speed blender.
A good blender will create an ultra creamy texture.
- Choose high-quality mint extract.
For the best mint flavour, choose a good quality mint extract made with natural flavours if possible.
- Enjoy immediately.
This Shamrock Shake is best enjoyed right after it’s made while the ice cream is still frozen.
What is a Shamrock Shake?
A McDonalds Shamrock Shake is a milkshake that’s rich and creamy and flavoured with mint and vanilla.
How many calories in a Shamrock Shake?
There are just over 500 calories in one serving of this shamrock shake recipe.
What is the classic Shamrock Shake flavour?
The classic Shamrock Shake flavour is mint.
We hope you love this Shamrock Shake recipe as much as we do! Let us know in the comments below, what’s your favourite St. Patrick’s Day recipe? We’d love to know!
EASY AND DELICIOUS SUMMER DESSERT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE!
Get my no-fail summer dessert recipes e-cookbook!
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- Add the ice cream, milk, vanilla extract , mint extract, and green food colouring to your blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve in tall glasses, and top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry (optional).
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.