This Vegetable Soup is the perfect veggie-packed healthy meal! Made with fresh or frozen vegetables, vegan and plant-based, and only 80 calories per serving!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about where you live, but here in the mountains of Eastern Europe this week has been super rainy and chilly – and what better way to warm up on a cool summer day than a bowl of this Easy Vegetable Soup!? It’s one of our family’s favourite soups to make, especially in the summer and fall, and it’s super healthy and filling! Trust me, you’re going to love it!
Ingredients for Vegetable Soup
- Olive Oil
- Red Pepper
- Canned tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- White wine
- Shredded cabbage
- Vegetable Stock
- Fresh herbs for serving (optional)
How to Make Vegetable Soup
- Saute the veggies first. Cooking the veggies creates a delicious caramelization, and this means FLAVOUR!
- Add your spices. Choose your favourite spices! We like Italian seasoning for a delicious soup.
- Add some wine for flavour. Deglazing the pot with a splash of white wine adds so much delicious flavour. Skip it if you’re not into wine, or use a splash of veggie stock instead.
- Choose the BEST fresh and in-season veggies. We love adding fresh zucchini, red pepper, parsnips and carrots.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
What Cast Iron Dutch Oven Pot is the best?
When it comes to making homemade soups nothing works better than a good old enamelled cast iron pot. I have a few cast iron dutch ovens from different brands and I have come to love each of them for different reasons. They’re some of the best investments I’ve made for my kitchen! The first cast iron dutch oven I ever owned was this one from Le Creuset (affiliate link) and I use it at least weekly throughout the entire year for soups, stews, sauces, curries, and of course for baking bread (if you want my original Dutch Oven Crusty Bread recipe, find it HERE!). A pot like that one is definitely a financial investment for your kitchen, but considering how much I use mine and considering its high quality, it’s definitely a worthy investment. I’ve also used similar cast iron pots from other brands, like THIS ONE from KitchenAid and THIS ONE from Lodge Cast Iron and even THIS ONE from Amazon Basics (all affiliate links) if you’re looking for something a little less expensive but still high quality that will work just as well. But my favourite brand of cast iron dutch ovens right now is Denby, and the cast iron Dutch Oven pot I used in this recipe can be found HERE (affiliate link). Their pots are very high quality (in fact, they outperform some of the higher-priced brands!) and their price point is very reasonable.
Looking for more delicious soup recipes? Try my Creamy Zucchini Soup, this Easy Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup, or this Easy Homemade Chicken Stock (made on the stovetop or in the slow cooker!)!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this soup as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite healthy soup recipe? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Tools I Recommend:
Like this recipe? You’ll LOVE these:
- Crock Pot French Onion Soup with White Beans
- Easy Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup
- Rustic Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Best Ever One Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY WEEKNIGHT MEAL IDEAS?
Get my Quick and Easy 4-Week Meal Plan Guide!
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper (a pinch or two each, to taste)
- 1 parsnip chopped
- 3 medium carrots chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 medium zucchini chopped
- 400 ml canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 7 cup vegetable stock
- freshly chopped parsley or basil for serving (optional)
- Heat a large heavy-bottom pot over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the diced onions, garlic, onion powder, and Italian seasoning and cook until the onions are soft and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the salt and pepper, the chopped parsnip, chopped carrots, chopped bell pepper, and chopped celery, allowing the veggies to soften for several minutes, stirring regularly.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add the chopped zucchini, canned tomatoes, cabbage and vegetable stock.
- Stir well, cover the pot, and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add more salt and/or pepper to taste, if desired.
- Serve in bowls with some freshly chopped parsley or basil (optional).
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.