This Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes Recipe is the perfect healthy side dish that’s ready in minutes! Seasoned and roasted sweet potatoes that are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, & made with basic ingredients!
Sweet potatoes are one of our favourite foods and they’re a great addition to a healthy, whole-foods diet. This Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes recipe is one we make at least once a week! It’s a super easy side dish recipe that’s super delicious, so easy to make in minutes, and it’s perfect for meal prep.
We love enjoying these Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes in our Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Bowls and our Power Bowl recipe, but they’re also delicious alongside grilled chicken, a salad, or any of your favourite main dishes!
Air frying is an easy, delicious and healthy way to cook sweet potatoes for so many reasons:
- Air frying requires little to no oil and it creates a crispy exterior without the added fat.
- Air fryers almost always cook food faster than traditional oven baking or roasting because the hot air circulates around the food and cooks it quickly and evenly.
- Air frying makes food crispy and crunchier than oven-roasted foods, so sweet potatoes cooked in the air fryer keep their deliciously soft interior with a crispy and smoky-flavoured exterior.
- Air fryers almost always require less energy than an oven, so cooking food in your air fryer can be a great way to reduce your electricity consumption.
If you’ve been gifted an air fryer for the holidays and it’s been sitting on your shelf collecting dust, or if you’ve been thinking about picking up an air fryer for awhile but haven’t yet, we’d HIGHLY recommend getting started. An air fryer is a fantastic kitchen appliance for achieving that oven-crisp or fried texture in a fraction of the time with next to no added fat, and to be honest it’s a kitchen appliance we’d have a hard time living without!
Here are some of our favourite Air Fryers (affiliate links):
- A great Air Fryer for space-saving (2 quart capacity)
- The perfect Air Fryer for large families with a dual basket feature
- A standard Air Fryer for everyday use (works well for a family of 2 to 4 people)
- A large Air Fryer for everyday use (works well for a family of 2 to 4 people)
You’ll also need these items to make this recipe (affiliate links):
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- medium to large sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- cayenne pepper (or use paprika or chili powder if you prefer)
- garlic powder
Try one of these delicious flavours next time you make sweet potatoes in the air fryer!
- Herb and Garlic: Mix together dried thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss the sweet potato cubes in the spice mixture before air frying for a savoury and fragrant flavour.
- Sweet and Spicy: Mix together brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Toss the sweet potato cubes in the spice mixture before air frying for a sweet and spicy flavour.
- Cinnamon Sugar: Mix together cinnamon and sugar, then sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato cubes before air frying for a sweet and comforting flavour.
- Balsamic Glazed: Mix together balsamic vinegar, honey, and a pinch of salt. Brush the mixture over the sweet potato cubes before air frying for a tangy and sweet glaze.
- Parmesan and Rosemary: Mix together grated parmesan cheese, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper. Toss the sweet potato cubes in the spice mixture before air frying for a cheesy and herbaceous flavour.
- Maple Glazed: Mix together maple syrup, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Brush the mixture over the sweet potato cubes before air frying for a sweet and sticky glaze.
- Curry: Mix together curry powder, turmeric, and salt. Toss the sweet potato cubes in the spice mixture before air frying for a spicy and aromatic flavour.
Time needed: 23 minutes
Follow these steps for the perfect air fryer sweet potatoes!
- Preheat the air fryer.
Preheating your air fryer cuts down on cooking time, so don’t skip this step!
- Cut the sweet potatoes.
Cutting the sweet potatoes into small pieces (1/3-1/2 inches) to speed up the cooking process.
- Don’t forget the oil and spices.
Tossing the sweet potatoes in oil and spices adds tons of flavour and prevents the sweet potatoes from sticking.
- Toss while cooking.
To help the sweet potatoes cook evenly, shake the air fryer basket a few times throughout the cooking process.
- Enjoy immediately.
For the crispiest air fryer sweet potatoes, enjoy them immediately hot out of the air fryer. If you need to make them ahead of time, simply reheat in the air fryer.
How long to roast sweet potatoes?
Roasting sweet potatoes in the air fryer takes only 10 to 13 minutes.
At what temperature should I air fry sweet potatoes?
400 degrees Fahrenheit (approximately 200 degrees Celsius) is a good temperature for roasting sweet potatoes in the air fryer.
Can I air fry sweet potatoes with the skin on, or should I peel them first?
Air frying sweet potatoes with the skin on works just fine, so there’s no need to peel them. If you prefer them without the peel, feel free to peel them.
Why do my sweet potatoes burn in the air fryer?
Cooking sweet potatoes at too high a temperature and for too long can cause them to burn because of their high sugar content.
How do I prevent the sweet potatoes from sticking while air frying?
Be sure to toss the sweet potatoes in olive oil before cooking. You can also spray the inside of the air fryer with cooking spray before cooking.
How do I keep the sweet potatoes crispy in the air fryer?
In order to keep the sweet potatoes crispy, be sure to leave space between the sweet potato cubes and avoid over crowding the air fryer.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Let us know in the comments below, what’s your favourite air fryer recipe? We’d love to know!
Watch the video below to see exactly how we make this recipe. You can find many more deliciously simple recipe videos on our YouTube channel!
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 Celsius).
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/3 to 1/2-inch sized cubes, leaving the skin on or peeling it (your choice).
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes to a large bowl and add the oil and other ingredients. Toss very well to coat.
- Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 Celsius) for 10-13 minutes, shaking the air fryer basket every 5-6 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Storage InstructionsStore in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat well before serving.
Reheating InstructionsReheat in the air fryer at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 Celsius) for about 2 minutes.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
TRY OUR MEAL PLANS!
Let us do the work for you with 7 days of deliciously easy family dinners, grocery lists, meal prep guides and MORE!
Buy 2, save 20%!
Buy 3, save 30%!
Buy 4 or more, save 40%!