This Easy Harissa Chicken with Mint Yogurt Sauce is a delicious main dish that’s packed with flavour! Make it in under 30 minutes and serve it over rice or roasted potatoes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you but in our family we LOVE flavour. This Easy Harissa Chicken with Mint Yogurt Sauce is one of my favourite main dishes to make because it is just bursting with delicious flavour. It’s smoky and a little bit spicy (you can make it as mild or spicy as you choose!), and it is absolutely delicious with my easy mint yogurt sauce.
We love to enjoy this Easy Harissa Chicken with roasted potatoes and roasted veggies, but it’s also great over rice!
What is Harissa?
Harissa or Harissa paste is a spice blend featuring flavours like roasted red pepper, garlic, coriander and cumin that gives a super flavourful and sometimes spicy kick to roasted meats or fish, potatoes and vegetables, and even soups and stews. It originated in North Africa and it’s become popular in western cuisine as a delicious spice blend that’s easy to use and delicious! You can find it as a paste stored in jars (at middle eastern or African food markets) but in North America it’s commonly sold as a dry spice blend at most grocery stores with a wide selection of international products.
Are you looking for more delicious chicken recipes? You’ll LOVE this Honey Garlic Lime Chicken, this One Pan Chicken with White Wine and Mushroom Sauce, or this Easy One Pan Honey Garlic Chicken!
How to make the BEST roast chicken
- Use bone-in and skin-on chicken. Leaving the bones in and the skin on will help the chicken cook evenly and not dry out. It adds moisture to the chicken and makes sure it’s juicy and delicious!
- Season generously. Seasoning your chicken makes ALL the difference! Use a good quality sea salt and cracked black pepper, and whatever other seasoning the recipe calls for.
- Brown the chicken first. Browning your chicken pieces before roasting helps create SO much flavour both in the chicken and the sauce. Don’t skip this step! It’s the BEST way to take your roast chicken from good to amazing!
- Add aromatics. Adding onions and garlic to the pan while browning and roasting the chicken will infuse the chicken with extra flavour!
Looking for even more delicious weeknight meals like this? Check out this Easy One Pan Roasted Chicken Dinner or this Easy One Pan Spanish-Style Chicken and Rice!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite way to cook chicken? I’d love to know!
KITCHEN PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND:
Looking for even more comfort food meals? You’ll LOVE these:
Easy Harissa Chicken with Mint Yogurt Sauce
This Easy Harissa Chicken with Mint Yogurt Sauce is a delicious main dish that's packed with flavour! Make it spicy or mild, & in under 30 minutes!
For the chicken:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dry harissa seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, or add more if you wish)
- 6 large bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 small red onions sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
For the mint yogurt sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- a pinch or two of sea salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Heat a large oven-safe skillet (cast iron is best) over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
In a large bowl, combine the harissa seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, salt and cayenne (if using).
Add the chicken thighs to the spice mixture and toss well to coat the chicken thighs completely.
Add the chicken thighs skin-side down and let them brown just until a nice golden brown crust forms (about 5-6 minutes).
Flip the chicken thighs and add the sliced onions and garlic around the chicken thighs in the pan.
Let the second side brown for just a few minutes and then add the pan to the oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the thickest part of one of the chicken thighs reaches an internal temperature of 74 degrees Celsius (165 Fahrenheit).
Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
For the Mint Yogurt Sauce:
While the chicken is in the oven, add the garlic, mint, parsley and salt to a small bowl and mash with a fork.
Add the Greek yogurt and stir together well until everything is combined.
To make this recipe with boneless-skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts, follow the recipe as directed ensuring the chicken reaches the appropriate internal temperature when baking (use an instant-read thermometer for best results) and ensure the chicken does not over-cook.