This Easy One Pan French Onion Stuffed Chicken is the perfect main dish recipe for French Onion Soup lovers! Juicy chicken breasts stuffed with sweet caramelized onions and gooey cheese!!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I’m so excited to be bringing you this Easy One Pan French Onion Stuffed Chicken recipe today!! It’s an amazingly delicious main dish that our family loves and it’s easy to make with just a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand, and a good old cast iron skillet – check out the one I use HERE if you’re in the market for a good one that’s not too expensive! (affiliate link). This dish goes great with any roasted veggies, potatoes, salads or whatever else your family likes. It’s truly the perfect main dish for French Onion Soup lovers!!
I love creating new chicken recipes for those days where I feel like I’m in a dinner time rut. Chicken breasts are one of my favourite meats to prepare because they’re lean, packed with protein, and go great with just about any flavours, but sometimes it feels like I run out of ideas when it comes to preparing them! Does this ever happen to you?
For those of you who can identify with my chicken dilemma, here are MY favourite ways to cook boneless skinless chicken breast:
- Stuff it! – The possibilities are truly endless – fresh herbs, chopped bell peppers, corn, broccoli. Oh, and don’t forget the cheese, especially for this Easy One Pan French Onion Stuffed Chicken!
- Bread it! – A simple breading of flour and some breadcrumbs with a few dried herbs and seasoning salt can go a LONG way in the flavour department without adding too much fat. Check out my Crispy Oven Fried Chicken for some great ideas!
- Pour some sauce on it! – I love making super easy pan sauces to pour over plain grilled or pan-fried chicken breasts. Try my White Wine and Mushroom sauce – it’s SO easy and VERY delicious!
- Make a stir fry! – The easiest way I know of to keep boneless skinless chicken breasts interesting is in any kind of stir fry. Try my favourite stir fry, this Easy Healthier Crispy Orange Chicken or this One Pan Kung Pao Chicken to see what I mean!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this Easy One Pan French Onion Stuffed Chicken as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite way to prepare boneless skinless chicken? I’d love to know!!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for even more delicious chicken recipes? You’ll LOVE these ones I’ve linked below!
Easy One Pan French Onion Stuffed Chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5-6 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- a pinch each of salt and pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or gruyere cheese (or a mix of both!)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chicken or beef stock
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the butter.
- When the butter has melted add the sliced onions and allow the onions to caramelize in the butter, stirring them regularly as they brown. Add the fresh thyme and salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- When the onions are caramelized and a nice golden brown, remove them to a bowl and turn off the heat under the skillet.
- Combine the shredded cheeses (mozzarella, gruyere, and parmesan) in a bowl. Stuff the shredded cheese and several spoonfuls of the caramelized onions into each of the chicken breasts and secure with toothpicks. There should be about 1/2 cup or more of caramelized onions remaining.
- Heat the same skillet to medium-high heat and once it's heated, add the olive oil and the chicken breasts.
- Brown the chicken breasts on all sides carefully, making sure the filling stays inside.
- Once the chicken has browned but not cooked through, remove it to a plate and turn off the heat. Add the remainder of the caramelized onions to the skillet, along with the chicken stock.
- Nestle the chicken breasts in the caramelized onion liquid in the skillet and throw a few sprigs of fresh thyme into the skillet as well.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through completely to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (75 Celsius).
- After allowing the chicken to rest for several minutes, remove the toothpicks and serve the chicken with a spoonful of the onions and pan juices.