This Apple and Blackberry Crumble is the perfect easy summer dessert baked to perfection with fresh apples and blackberries, topped with a sweet crumble topping!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Fruit crumble is one of our family’s favourite desserts in the summertime and this Apple and Blackberry Crumble is my husband’s favourite. It’s so easy to make, it’s absolutely delicious, especially when made with fresh, local blackberries, and it’s perfect served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a summer evening! What could be better?!
Ingredients for Apple and Blackberry Crumble
- fresh blackberries
- granulated sugar
- all purpose flour
- cold butter
How to Make Apple and Blackberry Crumble
If you want to take your homemade crumble to the next level, try my FIVE PRO TIPS in your own kitchen:
- Be sure to add a bit of cornstarch to the filling!! It helps create a velvety smooth sauce as the fruit cooks and releases its juices and prevents the topping from getting soggy.
- Use fresh fruit, not frozen. Fresh blackberries and apples hold their shape well, but frozen blackberries tend to fall apart and become very liquidy when baked into a crumble. Choose fresh whenever possible for the best texture.
- Grease your pan generously! Nobody likes burnt-on fruit, so use a generous amount of butter, margarine, or any other dairy-free butter you’d like and grease that pan!
- Don’t forget the spices! Ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, and even ground ginger are good choices and they can take a boring old fruit dessert to something spectacular!
- Use cold butter. Mixing cold butter into the other topping ingredients makes for a sweet, crispy topping that’s the perfect compliment to the juicy filling.
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this fruit crumble recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite way to enjoy fresh fruit in the summertime? I’d love to know!
Kitchen products I recommend:
Check out some of my other favourite recipe below!
- Healthy 2-Ingredient Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- Strawberry Rhubarb Skillet Cobbler
- Slow Cooker Apple Crisp (Crock Pot)
- Blueberry Hand Pies
- Easy Classic Peach Pie
- Classic Strawberry Pie
- Strawberry Hand Pies
- Lemon Blueberry Oat Bread
Apple and Blackberry Crumble
- 9-inch by 13-inch (or equivalent) baking dish
- 6 cups apples cubed, skin on (about 4 apples)
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- zest and juice of two lemons
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Crumble topping ingredients:
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter cold, cut into cubes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a 9-inch by 13-inch (or equivalent) baking dish by greasing it well with some butter. Set aside.
For the filling:
- In a large bowl combine the apples, blackberries, lemon juice and zest, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss everything together gently.
- Scoop the filling into the baking dish and even out the top.
For the crumble topping:
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon for the crumble topping with a fork or a whisk.
- Add the cubes of cold butter and use your hands to mix them into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs (kind of like wet sand).
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over the filling in the baking dish in an even layer.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 15-20 minutes before serving with some vanilla ice cream.