This Cottage Cheese Queso Dip recipe is a high-protein appetizer or snack recipe made with only 4 ingredients! A healthy version of the Mexican-style cheese dip that’s easy to make in minutes!
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Here at The Busy Baker we’re always looking for new and healthier ways to enjoy our favourite foods. We love a good dip, especially when it involves cheese, and this Cottage Cheese Queso Dip is our latest favourite high-protein snack we just can’t get enough of!
If you’re on social media you MUST have seen this viral Tik Tok trend – cottage cheese everything is all the rage right now and we’re totally here for it. It’s such a great, versatile ingredient and it makes the creamiest, cheesiest dip that’s surprisingly light. We don’t usually jump on social media trends, but this Cottage Cheese Queso Dip is one we LOVE!
We love cottage cheese for so many reasons. It’s been something we’ve enjoyed for decades with fruit, on salads, and even in lasagna. But here’s why cottage cheese is the best secret ingredient for healthy homemade queso:
- It’s silky smooth when blended. When blended in a food processor, cottage cheese becomes so smooth and creamy, making it perfect for combining with other ingredients.
- It’s packed with protein. Cottage cheese boasts a whopping 25 grams of protein per cup so it’s a healthy choice for appetizers and dips!
- It’s low in fat. Most cheesy dips are absolutely packed with fat and calories but since cottage cheese only contains about 10 grams of fat per cup, it makes a deliciously low fat choice.
- It’s got a tangy flavour. Cottage cheese has a higher lactic acid content than other cheeses, giving it a deliciously tangy flavour similar to yogurt or sour cream.
- It’s creamy but light. When blended in the food processor cottage cheese becomes very creamy and rich-looking, but because it’s so low in fat it’s flavour is so fresh and light, making this Cottage Cheese Queso Dip perfect for summer!
If you want to make this easy queso recipe, you’ll need to make sure you have these ingredients on hand:
- cottage cheese
- shredded cheddar cheese
- taco seasoning
- salsa or pico de gallo
If you love Queso as much as we do, give one of these variations on the basic recipe a try!
- Spinach and Artichoke: Incorporate cooked spinach and chopped artichoke hearts for added nutrients and a unique twist.
- Black Bean and Corn: Mix in canned black beans and corn kernels to enhance texture and flavour.
- Jalapeño and Cilantro: Infuse some heat and freshness with diced jalapeños and chopped cilantro.
The most important kitchen tool you’ll need for this queso recipe is a food processor. If you’re looking for a food processor, here are a few we recommend at different price points (paid links):
- Our favourite 11-Cup KitchenAid Food Processor
- A smaller version of our favourite KitchenAid Food Processor (5 Cups)
- Ninja 9-Cup Food Processor
- Cuisinart 9-Cup Food Processor
Other than a food processor, you’ll need these items (paid links):
Time needed: 10 minutes
Follow these steps for the perfect healthy queso recipe!
- Use your food processor.
Process the cottage cheese until smooth. This will help give the dip a creamy consistency and help the cheese melt smoothly.
- Mix everything together well.
Add the seasoning, shredded cheddar, and salsa and stir until combined.
- Melt slowly in the microwave.
Melt the mixture in the microwave for 30-second increments, stirring well between each increment. Melting the cheese this way will prevent separation and curdling, so be sure not to over-heat the dip.
- Serve immediately.
Serve with your favourite tortilla chips or cut veggies while the dip is warm and melty.
Can I taste the cottage cheese in the final dip?
The final dip doesn’t taste like cottage cheese thanks to the strong flavours in the cheddar cheese, salsa, and taco seasoning.
Will the cottage cheese melt completely in the microwave?
Yes, cottage cheese melts in the microwave very well, especially when it’s processed until smooth in the food processor first.
What should I do if the warm cheese separates?
If your dip mixture separate simply add it back into the food processor and process it on low speed until it comes together again.
Can I use Greek yogurt as a substitute for cottage cheese?
We don’t recommend using Greek yogurt in this recipe as a substitute for cottage cheese because Greek Yogurt doesn’t melt like cottage cheese and will be more likely to separate and curdle when heated.
How can I make the dip spicier or milder?
Feel free to use mild, medium or hot salsa to make the dip to your tastes.
How to store Cottage Cheese Queso Dip?
Store this dip in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave before serving.
How long does the dip last in the fridge?
This dip lasts in the fridge for about 3 days in an airtight container.
What to serve with Cottage Cheese Queso Dip?
This dip is best served with your favourite tortilla chips and cut veggies for dipping, It can also be served as a condiment with all your favourite Mexican or Tex-Mex dishes.
We hope you love this easy dip recipe as much as we do! Let us know in the comments below, what’s your favourite healthy snack? We’d love to know!
Watch the video below to see exactly how we make this recipe. You can find many more deliciously simple recipe videos on our YouTube channel!
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese Don't use pre-shredded cheddar as it can contain anti-clumping agents that prevent it from melting.
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa or pico de gallo
- Blend cottage cheese in the food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Add it to a microwave-safe bowl along with the shredded cheddar cheese, taco seasoning, and salsa.
- Microwave in 30-second increments (stir regularly) until the cheese is melted.
- Optional step: If the dip separates, add everything back into the food processor and process until smooth.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips or veggies for dipping.
Storage InstructionsStore this dip in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve. Re-heat in the microwave in 30-second increments (stirring regularly) before serving.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
TRY OUR MEAL PLANS!
Let us do the work for you with 7 days of deliciously easy family dinners, grocery lists, meal prep guides and MORE!
Buy 2, save 20%!
Buy 3, save 30%!
Buy 4 or more, save 40%!