This Grasshopper Pie recipe is an easy classic no-bake dessert with an Oreo cookie crust and a creamy mint filling!
Table of contents
Grasshopper Pie Recipe
Is there anything more nostalgic than a tried and true, classic recipe that’s been made over and over for generations? This Grasshopper Pie recipe is such a classic and we are here for it!
It’s a recipe as old as time, but it’s one we keep coming back to again and again. Made with cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, and Creme de Menthe liqueur (or mint extract if you’re making it for the kids!), it’s the most delicious mint dessert that we can’t get enough of.
No Bake Dessert Tips
If you’ve been a reader of The Busy Baker for awhile you’ll already know all about our obsession with no bake desserts. Whether it’s one of our famous No Bake Cheesecakes, a classic No Bake Icebox Cake, or even this Easy No Bake Lemon Tart or these No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Bars, we are here for ALL the no bake desserts.
If you love no bake desserts as much as we do, you should definitely check out our comprehensive guide to No Bake Cheesecakes. It’s a FREE resource where we share all our favourite tips and tricks for no bake cheesecakes, helpful troubleshooting tips, and all our favourite tried and true no bake cheesecake recipes.
And if you want even MORE help with your No Bake Desserts, check out our Easy No Bake Cheesecakes E-Cookbook in The Busy Baker Shop!
EASY NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE RECIPES & TIPS
Get my easy no bake cheesecakes e-cookbook!
Kitchen Items You’ll Need for This Recipe
Here are the kitchen items you’ll need to make this recipe (affiliate links):
- a food processor to grind the cookies for the crust
- mixing bowls
- a silicone spatula
- a hand mixer or a stand mixer
- measuring cups and spoons
- an offset spatula
Grasshopper Pie Ingredients
To make this grasshopper pie recipe, you’ll need:
- Oreo cookies
- cream cheese
- sweetened condensed milk
- Creme de Menthe Liqueur (or peppermint extract)
- green food colouring
- whipped cream
How to Make Grasshopper Pie
Time needed: 4 hours and 30 minutes.
Follow these steps for the perfect Grasshopper Pie!
- Chill the crust first.
Adding the butter to the crushed Oreo cookies is what will help the crumbs stay together to form the crust. Refrigerate the crust while you prepare the filling.
- Start with room temperature cream cheese.
Set your cream cheese out on the kitchen counter about one hour before you begin. This will help the filling become nice and smooth as you mix it.
- Don’t forget the Creme de Menthe.
Adding the Creme de Menthe is what makes the flavour of this grasshopper pie SO classic, but if you’re going to serve it to the whole family skip the alcohol and add a small amount (1/2 teaspoon) of peppermint extract instead.
- Go for green.
Since grasshopper pie is classically green in colour, add a few drops of green food colouring to the cream cheese mixture BEFORE you fold in the whipped cream.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
The whipped cream added to the filling makes this pie so soft and creamy. Whip your cream to hard peaks and then fold it in gently to the cream cheese mixture.
- Freeze to set.
Add the grasshopper pie to the freezer to set for about 2 to 4 hours, or overnight. If you freeze it overnight, let it sit on the counter at room temperature for about 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
What is grasshopper pie?
Grasshopper Pie is a classic dessert with a chocolate cookie crust and a creamy mint filling, traditionally made with Creme de Menthe liqueur and green food colouring.
What is grasshopper pie made of?
This grasshopper pie recipe is made with cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, whipped cream, green food colouring and Creme de Menthe liqueur for flavour.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes! Simply store it in the freezer in an airtight container until ready to serve.
We hope you love this mint chocolate dessert as much as we do! Let us know in the comments below, what’s your favourite no bake dessert? We’d love to know!
EASY AND DELICIOUS SUMMER DESSERT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE!
Get my no-fail summer dessert recipes e-cookbook!
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
For the crust:
- 20 Oreo cookies
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
For the filling:
- 12 ounces full fat cream cheese at room temperature
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk one standard can
- 4 tablespoons Creme de Menthe liqueur or use 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- a few drops of green food colouring
- 2 cups whipped cream (about 3/4 cup liquid heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks)
- crumbled Oreo cookies
- Crush the Oreo cookies in your food processor or in a plastic bag with a rolling pin until they resemble fine crumbs. Add them to a bowl with the melted butter and mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and press into the bottom and up the sides to form a crust.
- Set the crust aside in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream cheese with a hand mixer until nice and creamy.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk in a steady stream while the mixer is running, mixing well until it's completely integrated (scrape down the sides of the bowl).
- Whip in the Creme de Menthe and food colouring, scraping down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is evenly incorporated.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream (be sure to whip it to stiff peaks first!) with a rubber spatula. You can also use whipped topping, if desired.
- Dollop the mixture into the pie pan over the Oreo crust and smooth it out as best you can. Top with a few more crushed Oreo cookies.
- Place in the freezer for 4 hours or overnight.
- If you let it freeze overnight, remove it from the freezer for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Slice with a hot knife for nice clean slices.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.