This Vanilla Milkshake recipe is the BEST homemade milkshake – a cool, creamy, smooth, and indulgent treat with an intense vanilla flavour. Made with only 3 basic ingredients!
It just doesn’t get more classic than a milkshake, and this Vanilla Milkshake Recipe is simply perfect. It’s a sweet and oh so creamy treat that’s easy to make at home made by blending vanilla ice cream with milk and vanilla.
There’s no need to hit up your favourite drive-thru or burger joint for a milkshake, because with a few simple tips and tricks you can whip up the best Vanilla Milkshake of your life right in your own kitchen!
A vanilla milkshake is a basic milkshake recipe made with a few simple components:
- High-quality vanilla ice cream: Vanilla ice cream made with real vanilla is the most important ingredient in this recipe. It provides the creamy, rich and sweet base for the milkshake. You can use any brand or type of vanilla ice cream, depending on your preference, but we suggest making sure to use a high-quality vanilla ice cream that’s made with real cream and real vanilla for the best flavour and texture. Non-dairy ice cream can also be used, and we suggest using one that’s creamy in texture.
- Milk: Feel free to use any variety of milk, but we suggest using whole milk because it will create a richer and creamier milkshake. Non-dairy milks such as almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or even soy milk can also be used as a substitute.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla is added to further intensify the flavour of the milkshake.
- Whipped cream: Optional, but a dollop of whipped cream on top adds a touch of decadence.
Following a milkshake recipe doesn’t require fancy equipment, but there are a few simple kitchen tools that are essential (affiliate links):
- A blender: A blender is the most important tool you will need to make a milkshake. It is essential to blend the ingredients together, creating a creamy, smooth milkshake.
- Liquid measuring cups: Measuring cups are essential to ensure that you measure the ingredients correctly.
- Measuring spoons: Measuring spoons are very useful for measuring the vanilla extract in this recipe.
- Tall glasses for serving: Tall, clear glasses are ideal for serving milkshakes.
- An ice cream scoop: An ice cream scoop makes working with ice cream so much easier.
- Paper straws: Straws add a fun touch to any milkshake. You could also use reusable plastic, metal or glass straws.
To make this recipe, you’ll only need a few basic ingredients. Our BIGGEST tip for the best homemade milkshake you’ll ever enjoy is to choose high-quality ice cream. Select a vanilla ice cream that’s made with real cream and real vanilla for the best flavour and texture.
In addition to the ice cream, all you’ll need is:
- whole milk
- vanilla extract
You may also want to add some whipped cream on top, with some sprinkles and even a cherry!
- Chocolate Chip Milkshake: Add a handful (or two) of chocolate chips to the blender for a delicious twist with chocolate chunks!
- Peanut Butter Milkshake: Add a spoonful of creamy peanut butter to the blender to add some nutty flavour.
- Cookies and Cream Milkshake: Throw in a few Oreo cookies to this classic milkshake to create a delicious cookies and cream flavour.
- Banana Milkshake: Add a ripe banana to the blender and you’ll have a delicious vanilla and banana milkshake!
- Strawberry Milkshake: Add fresh or frozen strawberries to create a sweet and fresh strawberry treat!
- Salted Caramel Milkshake: Add caramel sauce and a few pinches of sea salt to the blender to make a salted caramel milkshake that’s so divine!
- Vanilla Milkshake with Bourbon: Add a splash of bourbon to the blender to create a version of this delicious treat for the adults.
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Follow these steps for the perfect homemade milkshake!
- Start with high-quality ingredients.
High-quality ice cream is the key to a delicious milkshake with a ton of flavour and the perfect creamy texture. Choose ice cream made with real cream and real vanilla for the best flavour and texture.
- Blend on low speed.
Blend your milkshake ingredients on low speed until creamy and smooth. If you have a high-powered blender, the speed of the motor can create heat which will quickly melt the small ice crystals in the milkshake, making it more liquid-y and less thick and creamy. Blending on low speed keeps the milkshake cold and causes it to remain thick.
- Serve immediately.
Milkshakes are best served right away so blend it, pour it into your favourite glasses, and top with some whipped cream, some sprinkles, a cherry and add a cute paper straw!
What is vanilla milkshake made of?
Vanilla milkshakes are made of vanilla ice cream, whole milk, and vanilla extract.
Are vanilla milkshakes healthy?
Because milkshakes are made with ice cream which is high in sugar and fat, they’re not the healthiest choice.
Is milkshake basically ice cream?
Milkshakes are blended ice cream with milk and added flavours.
Is milkshake just ice cream and milk?
Milkshakes can be just ice cream and milk, but most milkshakes also contain other flavours like fresh fruit, chocolate, cookies, candy, or other flavourful add-ins.
How do I make a homemade milkshake without a blender?
Making a homemade milkshake without a blender is difficult. We’d suggest using a hand-held blender or hand mixer instead of a blender if you don’t have one.
What is the best ice cream to use for homemade milkshakes?
High-quality ice cream made with real cream and real flavours (like real vanilla beans, real fruit, etc.) are best for homemade milkshakes because they create the best flavour and texture.
Can I make a milkshake without using ice cream?
You can’t really make a milkshake without ice cream, although you could use soy, oat or coconut ice cream, or even your own homemade ice cream in place of conventional ice cream.
How many calories are in a homemade milkshake?
In a large milkshake there are just over 500 calories.
How do I store leftover milkshake?
We don’t recommend storing leftover milkshakes because the texture won’t remain the same as the ice crystals melt. If you freeze it, it will become rock hard because of the added milk and if you leave it in the fridge it will liquify. It’s best to enjoy it immediately.
How do I make a thick and creamy milkshake?
The key to a thick and creamy milkshake is the right ice cream to milk ratio (2:1 works well) and blending on low speed to maintain thickness.
How do I make a vegan milkshake at home?
Making a vegan milkshake is easy – simply substitute the ice cream and milk for your favourite vegan ice cream and non-dairy milk.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Let us know in the comments below, what’s your favourite milkshake flavour? We’d love to know!
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use real vanilla extract)
- whipped cream, sprinkles, and maraschino cherries for garnish (optional)
- Add the ice cream, milk, and vanilla extract to the blender.
- Add the lid and blend on low speed until creamy and smooth.
- Serve in tall glasses and garnish with some whipped cream, sprinkles and maraschino cherries, if desired.
Storage InstructionsWe don’t recommend storing this milkshake after it’s been made as it will lose its texture. Milkshakes are best served immediately after blending.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.