This Caramelized Butternut Squash with Sautéed Greens is the perfect ultra healthy side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas made with sweet squash, fresh greens, maple syrup and goat cheese!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
If you know me, you’ll know I’m always looking for new ways to use fresh, seasonal produce in my kitchen. When the weather turns cool I’m all about butternut squash and this Caramelized Butternut Squash with Sauteed Greens is one of our favourite new ways to enjoy it! It’s super easy to make, it’s fresh and healthy, and oh so delicious!!
How to Make Healthy Side Dishes for the Holidays
- Stick with fresh. Using fresh, in season produce is always a good idea when it comes to maximizing flavour!
- Go for colour. Using a variety of veggies with contrasting colours will make any healthy side dish look SO appetizing!
- Add healthy fats. Adding some cheese (think feta, goat cheese, parmesan…) or high quality oils will go a long way!
- Go for texture. Nuts and seeds are always a good addition to healthy side dishes because they add visual interest, flavour, and great crunchy texture!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
Looking for more holiday side dishes? CLICK HERE for all my favourite holiday recipes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this side dish recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite healthy side dish for the holidays? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
Looking for more recipes for holiday entertaining? You’ll LOVE these:
- Easy Juicy Roast Turkey
- Easy Homemade Roast Turkey Gravy
- Easy Crock Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Roasted Garlic Butter Carrots
- Apple Walnut Spinach Salad
- Roasted Beet Salad with Greens
- Maple Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Winter Berry Cocktail (Alcohol Free Version Included)
- Rosemary Dill Roasted Potatoes
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY WHOLE-FOOD RECIPES WITH EASY COOKING TIPS?
GET MY HEALTHY WHOLE-FOOD RECIPES E-COOKBOOK!
Caramelized Butternut Squash with Sautéed Greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- a pinch or two of salt and pepper
- 4 handfuls coarsely chopped beet greens stems removed (use kale or swiss chard, if desired)
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbled
- Heat a large heavy-bottom or non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil.
- Add the cubed butternut squash to the hot pan and toss in the oil.
- Let the butternut squash cook for about 5 minutes, tossing a few times gently. Add the maple syrup and the brown sugar, along with the garlic and salt and pepper. Turn the heat down to medium.
- Toss the squash in the pan again until it's coated in the syrup mixture and let it cook as it lightly browns on all sides, turning the pieces gently every few minutes until they're just barely fork tender.
- Add the chopped beet greens and stir them together with the squash. Add a lid to the pan and set the heat to low. Let the greens steam for about 3 minutes.
- Add the squash and greens to a platter and add the crumbled goat cheese over the top.
- Serve immediately.