This Thousand Island Dressing is ultra tangy, sweet and creamy and it’s so easy to make with simple pantry ingredients! It’s the perfect secret sauce for all your favourite salads or sandwiches!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Thousand Island Dressing is a major staple in our kitchen! We enjoy it on salads, on our favourite Reuben sandwiches, on burgers, and even for dipping french fries and veggies! It’s easy to make in just a few minutes with simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen!
How to Make Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
- Start with good quality mayonnaise. Making homemade dressings with mayo means the flavour of the mayonnaise matters. Try a high-quality, healthy mayonnaise made with avocado oil and without added sugars (Primal Kitchen makes a good one).
- Use sweet relish. This salad dressing gets its sweetness from the relish, so choose your favourite sweet relish over dill relish for this recipe.
- Mince your onion very finely. Large chunks of onion mean the onion flavour won’t be distributed throughout the dressing evenly.
- Make it as spicy as you want. Add as much or as little hot sauce as you prefer.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Letting the flavours meld is essential, so store your homemade salad dressing in a container or mason jar for at least one hour in the fridge before serving on your favourite green salads!
How to store salad dressing
Mason jars are a great kitchen tool to have on hand for things like this homemade thousand island dressing recipe.
They’re airtight, so you don’t have to worry about spills, they’re dishwasher safe and easy to clean, and they’re great for more than just salad dressings.
Aside from mason jars, one of my absolute FAVOURITE kitchen tools is this OXO Good Grips Salad Dressing Shaker (affiliate link).
I make homemade salad dressing all the time because the bottled stuff isn’t readily available where I live. I also like being able to control the amount of fat and sugar I’m pouring over my salads, and making homemade dressings is a good way to know exactly what you’re putting into your body. This salad dressing shaker is PERFECT for making homemade salad dressings in a flash!!
It allows you to measure ingredients right into the shaker (with the handy measurements on the side), it forms an airtight seal to keep the salad dressing fresh (and it’s good for shaking too!), and it pours beautifully thanks to the spout. It fits nicely in the fridge, and it’s seriously one of my favourite kitchen items ever!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this salad dressing recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite salad recipe? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for more delicious salad recipes? You’ll love these!!
- Berry Walnut Spinach Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Creamy Bacon Dressing
- Quick and Easy Greek Pasta Salad
- Rainbow Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Grapefruit and Arugula Salad
- Best Ever Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 medium onion very finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha or other hot sauce
- a pinch of salt to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and whisk everything together well to combine.
- Place the dressing in a mason jar or in another airtight container and refrigerate for 60 minutes or overnight.
- Enjoy on all your favourite salads or sandwiches.