This Greek Yogurt Marinated Chicken is packed with flavour – tangy, tender, and juicy, and grilled to perfection!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Grilled chicken is a staple food in our house – I whip up a batch at least once a week to enjoy with steamed veggies or on a salad for lunch, and it’s a healthy source of protein I rely on. This Greek Yogurt Marinated Chicken is one of my favourite ways to enjoy grilled chicken these days and I know you’re going to love it too!
If you’ve ever had delicious grilled chicken at a restaurant and wondered what their secret is to make it so flavourful, wonder no more.
Marinating chicken is the key to flavour and this easy-to-whip-up Greek yogurt marinade is not only super flavourful, it’s also a great way to make the chicken mean extra tender and juicy! The acid from the yogurt tenderizes the chicken gently and slowly and the fat helps it retain its moisture and soak up all the delicious flavour.
Ingredients for Greek Yogurt Chicken Marinade:
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Greek yogurt
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
How to Make Greek Yogurt Marinated Chicken
- Start with the chicken. Choose good-quality chicken thighs that are boneless and skinless. Trim any excess fat.
- Use dry herbs in the marinade. Dry herbs have a ton of flavour and they don’t burn on the grill or in the pan like chopped fresh ones do.
- Mix together the marinade ingredients. Whisk them together until the marinade is creamy and smooth.
- Marinate for at least 2 hours. Marinating for 2 hours to 12 hours will optimize the flavour, but if you’re in a rush you can marinate for 30 minutes.
- Grill or pan fry. This chicken tastes great off the grill but it also works well cooked in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop – just be sure to cook to an internal temperature of 74 degrees Celsius (165 Fahrenheit).
- Let the chicken rest. Rest the chicken on a plate under some foil for 5 minutes before serving. This will keep the chicken nice and juicy!
What does marinating chicken in yogurt do?
Every marinade needs a little bit of acid and the lactic acid in Greek yogurt is the perfect gentle tenderizer for chicken. It makes the chicken nice and tender and juicy.
Is marinating chicken healthy?
Yes! Marinating chicken adds very few calories but increases the flavour of the chicken immensely, making it more satisfying.
How long should I marinate chicken?
You can marinate chicken for 30 minutes or up to 12-18 hours in the fridge (or overnight). Any longer than that and you run the risk of the meat becoming tough.
Looking for more delicious chicken recipes? You’ll love this Instant Pot Roasted Chicken and Gravy Recipe, this Baked Balsamic Bruschetta Chicken Recipe, and this Easy Oven Roasted Barbecue Chicken Recipe!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this chicken recipe as much as our family does! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite way to enjoy chicken? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Tools I Recommend:
Looking for even more delicious meal ideas? You’ll LOVE these ones I’ve linked below!
- Creamy One Pot Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- Thai Chicken Spiralized Zucchini Salad
- Ginger Soy Grilled Chicken
- White Wine and Herb Marinated Chicken
- Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- Skillet Pesto Caprese Stuffed Chicken
- Honey Garlic and Lime Chicken
Greek Yogurt Marinated Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (approximately 8)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- a few pinches each of salt and pepper
- Trim the fat off the chicken thighs.
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, garlic, olive oil, honey, oregano, basil, thyme, cumin, paprika, dill, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients well until combined. Toss the chicken well in the marinade in the bowl until well coated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and place in the fridge to marinate for 2 hours (30 minutes is sufficient if you're in a hurry). You can also transfer the chicken and marinade to another container, if desired.
- When you're ready to grill, add the chicken to a hot grill and cook for about 7-8 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 74 degrees Celsius (165 Fahrenheit).
- Alternatively, pan fry in a hot skillet with a little bit of olive oil until the chicken reaches the same internal temperature, cooking on medium-high for at least 6-7 minutes per side.
- Let the chicken rest on a plate (cover with foil) for about 5 minutes before serving.