This Chicken Breasts with Stuffing recipe is the perfect comfort food dinner! Simple homemade stuffing with juicy, golden brown chicken breasts.
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
It’s officially fall, the air is cool, and it’s the season for comfort food. I don’t know you, but at our house we’re breaking out all the delicious soups, stews, and casseroles for dinner, and I’m not mad about it. These Chicken Breasts with Stuffing make a delicious, homestyle meal that’s savoury and oh so comforting.
And if you have a small family or are looking for a holiday-style dish for a more simple Thanksgiving or Christmas feast, this is the perfect recipe for you! Pair it with a couple veggie side dishes and you’ve got a fabulous home-cooked holiday-style meal without having to roast a whole turkey.
Ingredients for Chicken Breasts with Stuffing Casserole
- day-old french bread or pre-toasted breadcrumb cubes (from the bakery section at the grocery store)
- salt and pepper
- fresh or dried sage
- fresh or dried rosemary
- fresh or dried parsley
- fresh or dried thyme
- chicken stock
- olive oil
- chicken breasts
- lemon pepper seasoning
How to Make Chicken Breasts with Stuffing Casserole
- Roast the bread. This will dry out the bread (which is exactly what will create the perfect stuffing texture). Alternatively, choose pre toasted bread cubes from the bakery section of your grocery store.
- Start with butter. Butter makes everything better, so soften the onion, celery and garlic in the butter just until soft and fragrant.
- Choose fresh herbs over dried. Fresh herbs have TONS of flavour and they really take homemade stuffing recipes over the top. If you don’t have access to fresh herbs, dried herbs also work.
- Bake covered, then uncovered. The secret to stuffing is a crispy topping and edges but a soft, fluffy interior. Bake covered for the first half of the baking time to lock in the moisture and then bake uncovered for the perfect crispy top.
- Brown the chicken breasts before baking. While the stuffing does its first round in the oven, brown the chicken breasts in a frying pan in a little bit of olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning. Add them on top of the stuffing for the last 25-30 minutes of baking time.
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this delicious comfort food recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite holiday side dish for Christmas? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for more recipes for holiday entertaining? You’ll LOVE these:
- Easy Juicy Roast Turkey
- Easy Homemade Roast Turkey Gravy
- Easy Crock Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Roasted Garlic Butter Carrots
- Apple Walnut Spinach Salad
- Roasted Beet Salad with Greens
- Maple Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Winter Berry Cocktail (Alcohol Free Version Included)
- Rosemary Dill Roasted Potatoes
Chicken Breasts with Stuffing
- 8 cups day-old french bread cubed in 1 to 1.5-inch pieces, (about one 1-lb loaf)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- a few pinches each of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped (or use 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage chopped (or use 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped (or use 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped (or use 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 large eggs
For the chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and arrange the cubed bread on a large baking sheet.
- Roast for about 20 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven to cool.
- Alternatively, use pre-toasted bread cubes available at most grocery stores (check the bakery section).
- Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a skillet on the stovetop over medium heat and add the butter.
- When the butter melts, add the onion, celery and garlic and saute just until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the onion mixture to a large bowl, along with the roasted bread cubes.
- Add the salt and pepper and fresh herbs and stir well.
- Whisk the eggs into the vegetable stock and add the liquid to the bread mixture slowly, stirring well as you add the liquid so the bread re-hydrates evenly.
- Once the mixture is well combined, pour it out into a greased 9-inch by 13-inch rectangular baking dish (or equivalent), smoothing out the top so it's as even as possible.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, covered.
- While the stuffing bakes, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with the lemon pepper seasoning.
- Brown the chicken breasts on both sides until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes per side). Don't worry about cooking the chicken breasts all the way through.
- Once the chicken breasts are browned on both sides, set them aside on a plate. After the stuffing has cooked for 30 minutes, remove it from the oven and remove the foil. Add the chicken breasts to the baking dish, arranging them on top of the stuffing.
- Add the baking pan back to the oven bake for another 25-30 minutes, or until the top of the stuffing is crispy and golden brown and the chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 74 degrees Celsius (165 Fahrenheit).
- Serve immediately.