This Air Fryer Burgers recipe is the ultimate guide for making fresh or frozen homemade burgers in the air fryer. Expert tips for perfectly cooked, juicy burgers bursting with flavour. Elevate your burger game with our no fail air fryer burger recipe!
Making homemade burgers in the air fryer is a fantastic way to enjoy juicy, flavourful burgers without the hassle of grilling or frying.
Whether you’ve made homemade burgers for years or you’re a beginner in the kitchen, this Air Fryer Burgers recipe will provide you with everything you need to create the most mouthwatering burgers you’ll ever try, cooked to perfection in the air fryer!
Here is our step-by-step guide on how to cook frozen burgers in the air fryer, including instructions on how to store the burger patties in the freezer for future use:
- Forming and Storing Burger Patties:
- Prepare and form the burger patties following the instructions in the recipe.
- If you plan to freeze the patties for later use, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper, making sure they don’t touch each other.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and let the burger patties freeze for about 1-2 hours or until they are firm. Freezing the burgers on a baking sheet will help them keep their shape.
- Once the patties are frozen, place wax paper between them and place them in an airtight freezer-safe container or freezer bag. Be sure the container or bag is well sealed.
- Label the containers or bags with the date and contents for easy identification (this will help you keep your freezer organized).
- Keep the frozen burger patties in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Cooking Frozen Burgers in the Air Fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the desired number of frozen burger patties from the freezer.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket or tray with oil to prevent sticking.
- Place the frozen burger patties in a single layer in the air fryer basket or on the tray, leaving some space between each patty for even airflow.
- Cook the frozen burgers in the air fryer at 375°F (190°C) for approximately 15-18 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking process.
- For thicker patties or to achieve a well-done burger, you may need to add a couple of extra minutes to the cooking time.
- Check for doneness using an instant read thermometer, making sure the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C) for well-done burgers.
- Once they’re done, remove the burgers from the air fryer and let them rest for a few minutes before serving so they stay nice and juicy.
- Serving Suggestions:
- Place the cooked burgers on whatever buns you like and add your favourite toppings and condiments (we suggest our famous Burger Sauce).
- Consider toasting the buns in the air fryer for a minute or so for added flavour and texture.
- Serve the delicious air-fried burgers alongside crispy fries, potato wedges, a potato salad, a side salad, or any other side dish you wish.
One of the best ways to serve these Air Fryer Burgers is with a simple salad on the side, like this Olive Garden Salad, but these Crispy Barbecue Potato Wedges are also a great side dish for any burger!
If potato wedges aren’t your thing, we recommend our Classic Potato Salad recipe as a side dish for these homemade burgers, or even this Broccoli Salad, this Classic Caesar Salad, or this Strawberry Spinach Salad.
And if you’re looking to complete the meal with a homemade drink recipe, we highly recommend our homemade iced tea, homemade 3-ingredient lemonade, or this Healthy Strawberry Lemonade.
The first thing you’ll need to make this recipe is an air fryer! If you don’t already have one, here are a few we recommend (affiliate links)
- A great Air Fryer for space-saving (2 quart capacity)
- The perfect Air Fryer for large families with a dual basket feature
- A standard Air Fryer for everyday use (works well for a family of 2 to 4 people)
- A large Air Fryer for everyday use (works well for a family of 2 to 4 people)
To make these homemade burgers, you’ll also need these kitchen items (affiliate links):
- mixing bowls
- a cutting board
- a sharp knife for chopping
- measuring cups and spoons
- a burger press
- an instant-read thermometer
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- lean ground beef (use high quality beef that’s 20% fat for best results)
- black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- dijon mustard
- smoked paprika
- fresh or minced garlic
Looking to switch up your homemade burger game? Try these variations on the classic burger:
- Classic Cheeseburger: Top your air-fried burger patty with a slice of cheddar cheese during the last minute of cooking. Allow the cheese to melt and serve with your favourite toppings and condiments.
- Bacon and Blue Cheese Burger: Before air frying the patties, wrap them with bacon slices. Once cooked, top with crumbled blue cheese and let the cheese melt slightly before serving.
- Mushroom Swiss Burger: Sauté sliced mushrooms in a pan until tender, then place them on top of the burger patty halfway through cooking. Add a slice of Swiss cheese during the last minute of cooking.
- BBQ Ranch Burger: Brush the burger patties with BBQ sauce halfway through air frying. Top with a slice of Monterey Jack cheese and serve with crispy bacon and some ranch dressing.
- Spicy Jalapeño Burger: Mix minced jalapeños into the burger mixture to add a spicy kick to your burgers. Top with pepper jack cheese and fresh jalapeño slices.
Time needed: 1 hour and 5 minutes.
Follow these simple tips and you’ll be creating perfectly cooked, juicy homemade burgers every time!
- Start with the right meat.
When making homemade burgers, buy good quality ground beef that’s about 80% meat and 20% fat (go for 80% lean beef from your meat market or grocery store). This helps give your burgers flavour without adding a bunch of extra ingredients and it helps them stay nice and juicy!
- Temperature matters.
When mixing burgers, the meat and all other ingredients should be at room temperature to ensure everything mixes evenly. Let your ground beef sit out of the fridge for several minutes before mixing everything together.
- Use your hands.
Combine the ingredients for your burger patties with your hands, mixing well but just until everything is combined. Don’t over mix! Using your hands creates a nice even texture and it ensures everything is evenly mixed.
- Weigh your burgers.
Using a kitchen scale to make sure that all burger patties are the same weight ensures that they cook evenly, since they’re all the same size! If you don’t have a kitchen scale, use an ice cream scoop or a dry measuring cup to make sure they’re evenly sized.
- Form the burgers properly.
Use a burger press if you have one, not to pack the burger patties too tightly but to ensure they’re all an even thickness and diameter (this will help them cook evenly). Burger presses are inexpensive and readily available… check out mine HERE (affiliate link). You can also press a finger into each burger to form a small divot on one side – this helps prevent them from shrinking too much while they cook.
- Chill before air frying.
Chilling your burger patties in the fridge before cooking for about 30 minutes helps them stay together, keep their shape, and helps them stay nice and juicy! It’s an optional step, but if you have the time it’s worth doing!
- Air fry.
Cook the burgers in your air fryer (don’t overcrowd the air fryer!) at 200℃ (400℉) for 6 minutes. Flip and air fry for another 6-8 minutes depending on your preferred doneness. Add a slice of cheese to each burger for the last 60 seconds of cooking for delicious air fryer cheeseburgers!
- Don’t press!
Resist the urge to press down on the burgers while they’re cooking. This just makes them dry (because it causes them to release their juices).
- Use a meat thermometer.
Ensure the burgers reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit (71 degrees Celsius) in the middle and remove them from the heat as soon as this temperature is reached. There’s nothing worse than an under-cooked or over-cooked burger! Get my instant read thermometer HERE (affiliate link).
- Let them rest.
When the burgers are cooked through to the correct temperature, remove the air fryer basket from the air fryer and let the burgers rest for 3-5 minutes before serving. Resting helps create a juicy interior and it also helps the burgers stay together.
- Lightly toast the buns.
Serving a delicious homemade burger on a toasted bun helps prevent the bun from soaking up all the moisture from the burger and the fixings. And it’s delicious, so there’s that!
- Serve them with burger sauce!
My amazing homemade burger sauce is SO easy to make and it’s really the only condiment you need to serve with homemade burgers! Get the easy recipe HERE!
What is the secret ingredient in a good burger?
The secret ingredient in a good burger is finely minced onion. It adds a delicious sweetness to the burger patties and if it’s finely minced, you won’t even be able to tell it’s there!
How long to cook burgers in the air fryer?
Cooking burgers in the air fryer takes about 12-14 minutes.
How do I reheat a homemade burger in the air fryer?
We recommend reheating burgers in the air fryer for about 2-3 minutes.
How do you make homemade burgers taste good?
Adding Worcestershire sauce to homemade burgers adds a delicious savoury flavour.
What keeps a burger juicy?
Letting the burger rest before serving helps it stay juicy, and cooking it only until cooked through (avoiding over-cooking) helps it stay juicy.
Can I make homemade burgers ahead of time?
Yes! Simply form the patties, place them on a platter with layers of parchment paper or wax paper between them and refrigerate for up to 2 days until ready to serve.
Should I put egg in homemade burgers?
Adding egg into homemade burgers helps bind the meat together and prevents the burgers from crumbling.
Can I cook frozen burgers in the air fryer?
Yes. Simply preheat your air fryer and cook the burgers from frozen at 375°F (190°C) for approximately 15-18 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking process.
How do I know when the burgers are done?
Test the burgers with an instant read thermometer in the centre of the burgers and cook until they reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit (71 degrees Celsius).
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Let us know in the comments below, what’s your favourite food to make in the air fryer? We’d love to know!
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
Air Fryer Burgers
- 2 pounds 80% lean ground beef use high quality beef that's 20% fat for best results
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic finely pressed
- 1 medium onion very finely minced (so it's almost a paste)
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (optional, or use less if desired)
- Add the beef to a large bowl along with the salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, paprika, garlic, onion, eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Mix well with your hands just until combined and all the ingredients are distributed evenly throughout the mixture.
- Divide the mixture into 6 balls that are exactly the same size. Use a burger press to form the burgers into a patty shape, or use your hands to pack the burgers into evenly shaped patties. Place a small divot in the middle of one side of each of the burgers to help them keep their shape while cooking.
- Chill the patties in the fridge for about 30 minutes before air frying them.
- Preheat your air fryer to 200℃ (400℉). Place the burgers in the air fryer in a single layer – you might have to cook in batches.
- Air fry at 200℃ (400℉) for 6 minutes. Flip and air fry for another 6-8 minutes depending on your preferred doneness. If you want to make cheeseburgers, open your air fryer one minute before the cooking time is done and add a slice of cheddar cheese on top of each of the burger patties. Cook for one more minute.
- Remove the burgers from the heat and let them sit for about 3-5 minutes before serving. This helps them stay juicy and prevents them from falling apart.
- Serve on toasted buns with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, onions and our Easy Homemade Burger Sauce.
Storage InstructionsStore these burgers after they’re cooked in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheating InstructionsReheat these burgers once in the air fryer at 180℃ (360℉) until heated through (approximately 2-3 minutes).
Make-Ahead InstructionsTo make these burgers ahead of time, form the patties according to the recipe directions and store them in the fridge in an airtight container (with layers of parchment paper or wax paper between them to prevent sticking) for up to 2 days. Air fry as directed when ready to serve.
Freezer InstructionsPrepare the burger patties as directed and freeze on a baking sheet (spread out and not touching). Once frozen, add them to an airtight container or freezer bag with layers of parchment paper between them. When stored in an airtight container or freezer bag these burgers can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Air Frying Frozen BurgersPreheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for about 5 minutes. Remove the desired number of frozen burger patties from the freezer, and lightly spray the air fryer basket or tray with oil to prevent sticking. Place the frozen burger patties in a single layer in the air fryer basket or on the tray, leaving some space between each patty for even airflow. Cook the frozen burgers in the air fryer at 375°F (190°C) for approximately 15-18 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking process. For thicker patties or to achieve a well-done burger, you may need to add a couple of extra minutes to the cooking time. Check for doneness using an instant read thermometer, making sure the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C) for well-done burgers.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
TRY OUR MEAL PLANS!
Let us do the work for you with 7 days of deliciously easy family dinners, grocery lists, meal prep guides and MORE!
Buy 2, save 20%!
Buy 3, save 30%!
Buy 4 or more, save 40%!