This Slow Cooker Nuts and Bolts Snack Mix is an easy, delicious, homemade savoury snack for the holidays or game day! Customize it to your family’s tastes and make it in your crock pot!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
When I was a child I always looked forward to the holidays because of all the delicious recipes my mom would make only around Christmas time. This Slow Cooker Nuts and Bolts Snack Mix is a classic family recipe we’d always enjoy at Christmas, and I’m so excited to be sharing it with you today!
I’ve shared so many of our family’s classic holiday recipes with you before, like these Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars, my Grandma’s Whipped Shortbread Cookies, and this One Pan Cranberry Bacon Stuffing. This Slow Cooker Nuts and Bolts Snack Mix is another one of our family recipes we enjoyed every single Christmas while I was growing up. I’ve put my own spin on my mom’s classic recipe and I know you’re going to love it!
One of my favourite things about this recipe is that it can be given as edible gifts for Christmas! We love making a huge batch of this snack mix and then packaging it up in pretty glass jars or Christmas tins to give away. Of course we save a little for ourselves too, because it’s just THAT tasty!
How to make Nuts and Bolts
Making your own Christmas Snack Mix (we call it Nuts and Bolts in Canada!) is the perfect way to enjoy a savoury snack at your holiday parties!
- Use your favourite cereal. Chex cereal is a great choice, and Shreddies (if you’re from Canada) also work really well!
- Pick your favourite crackers. Any small crackers work in this snack mix recipe – choose your favourite!
- Pretzels. Pretzels give this snack mix the perfect texture and a delicious saltiness!
- Nuts or nut-free. If someone in your family has a nut allergy simply leave the nuts out of this recipe or replace them with a different kind of nut-free cracker!
- Don’t forget the butter! The secret to the perfect snack mix, especially when you make it in the slow cooker, is a generous amount of butter! It makes the snack mix perfectly crispy and SO flavourful.
Looking for more snacks or appetizers for the holidays? You’ll love this Oven Roasted Pizza Popcorn, or this Festive Holiday Christmas Cheese Ball!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you like this easy recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, did you grow up eating Nuts and Bolts at Christmas? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
Looking for more recipes for holiday entertaining? You’ll LOVE these:
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Slow Cooker Nuts and Bolts Snack Mix
- 4 cups Chex or Shreddies Cereal
- 3 cups Cheerios Cereal
- 3 cups pretzel sticks
- 2 cups small pretzels
- 1 cup small plain crackers (1 to 1 1/2 inch in size, use cheese flavoured crackers, if desired)
- 2 cups roasted salted peanuts
- 1 cup pecans (optional)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- a dash of sriracha or other hot sauce (optional, for flavour not spiciness)
- Turn your slow cooker on and add the cereals, pretzels, crackers, and nuts.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, garlic, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, seasoning salt, and Sriracha. One small dash of Sriracha will not make the snack mix spicy, it simply adds flavour.
- Pour the butter mixture over the ingredients in the slow cooker and toss gently but thoroughly with a rubber spatula (this prevents the ingredients from breaking) until everything is well coated.
- Cook on high in your slow cooker for about 2 hours, stirring every half hour or so. I recommend taking the lid off the slow cooker for the last 15 minutes of cooking to let any moisture evaporate.
- Be sure to let the snack mix cool completely before packing it up for storage in an airtight container. This will prevent the snack mix from becoming soggy and keep it nice and crispy. The best way to do this is on some parchment paper on a large tray or baking sheet.
- Once the snack mix is cooled completely, store it in airtight containers or serve immediately.